Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Memorial Mojitos

In honor of the holiday weekend coming up, I thought I would provide you with a drink recipe! This would be the perfect drink to sip this Memorial Day weekend while sitting poolside, relaxing in the sun. It's refreshing, it's smooth, it's tropical: a mojito! And not just any mojito - a mango mojito. The mojito is my favorite cocktail and mango is my favorite tropical fruit, so I figured why not combine the two and have a favorite flavor explosion of a drink?

Like I said, the mojito is my absolute favorite cocktail - I think it's the perfect combination of two refreshing tastes and scents: lime (my favorite scent in the whole world) and mint. But I don't like ordering a mojito when I go out unless I'm at a bar or restaurant where they specialize in making them (like Rumba Cafe in Adams Morgan, D.C. They make a killer mojito, pisco sour, and caipirinha!). I feel like bartenders hate making a mojito because it does take a little bit of extra time with having to muddle the mint and limes and making sure the flavors are just right.  And no one wants to make enemies with the bartender! That is why I've made it my mission to perfect my own mojito recipe so I can make them at home any time I like. I recently had my neighbors over for a happy hour to do just that, so we have my little taste testers to thank for this recipe turning out just right!

And if you couldn't guess by now, the featured herb for today's recipe is mint, or spearmint to be exact. I told you last week that basil is my favorite herb, but I think mint would have to rank a close second. It's so refreshing and there is so much you can do with it. It's great for garnishing desserts, using in Mediterranean (namely Moroccan) dishes, adding to teas and cocktails. It has a variety of uses and that is why I grow it in my little herb garden.


A few housekeeping notes before we start making our mojito:

First, I use agave nectar in this recipe because it's the perfect sweetener for this drink and it's much easier than making a simple syrup. Secondly, this recipe serves one and I did it that way so you could easily multiply it for however many you're serving. You could probably fit up to three drinks in a shaker comfortably. Last, I use 1 1/2 shots of rum per one drink, but I think two shots would be OK if someone wants a slightly stronger drink and I don't think that would interupt the taste much at all. I happen to like my drinks to not taste very strong, so that's why I scaled it back a little for this recipe.

Oh wait, one more thing! If you're not a big drinker, I think you could still enjoy all the flavors my mango mojito has to offer. Just omit the rum in the shaker and once you pour the mix into your glass, simply add a splash of club soda to top it off and voila! A delicious and refreshing booze free drink.

OK, I think I have covered everything, so let's get drinkin'!


Mango Mojito:

First I want to mention my new favorite kitchen contraption: the lime juicer. I used to literally torture myself when making mojitos or margaritas from scratch by using a fork to get the juice out of the limes. That was painful, frustrating, and took foreverrrr. My neighbor Joanna introduced me to this fabulous tool and I am so thankful for it! It makes your life so much easier and saves so much time when making homemade drinks.

You slice the limes in half around the center, then put the half in the juicer, cut side facing out:


Then place the juicer over a glass to catch the juice and just squeeze down on the handles:


Using this contraption, one lime should give you about 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed juice. How fantastic is that?! Go out and buy one of these suckers before you try this recipe! I found mine at TJMaxx, but I'm sure they would have them at Bed, Bath & Beyond or Williams Sonoma. Maybe even Target.


Servings: 1
Prep time: about 7 minutes

Ingredients:
10 spearmint leaves
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (1 lime should do it)
1/4 cup mango nectar
1 1/2 shots clear rum
2 teaspoons agave nectar
4 handfuls of ice

Place all of the mint leaves at the bottom of a tumbler glass and use a muddler to crush them. This releases all of the oil from the leaves, emitting their yummy mint flavor. Set aside.


Pour the fresh squeezed lime juice, mango nectar, agave nectar, rum, and two handfuls of ice into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds.


Place two handfuls of ice in the tumbler glass over the crushed mint leaves.


Remove the cap from the top of your shaker and pour all of the liquid into the glass.


Use a drink stirrer to combine the mint with the drink mix. Add a sprig of mint to the top and consume immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment