Thursday, June 21, 2012

Backyard Barbeque Basic

Now that summertime is finally here (I believe the summer solstice was yesterday!), our inboxes and mailboxes are crammed with invitations to backyard barbecues. The ones I am accustomed to going to are usually potluck style where everyone brings a dish to contribute to the meal. Everyone knows there are certain dishes that are backyard barbecue basics and staples - pasta salad (try this one!), fruit salad, corn on the cobb, hamburgers, hot dogs, barbecued chicken, and the ever popular potato salad.

I love making potato salad because I have been perfecting my recipe since I was in college. I think I have finally gotten it down pat, so I always offer to bring it when I'm invited to barbecues or picnics during the summer. My dad was throwing a small family barbecue at his house this past weekend, and I insisted that he sign me up to bring the potato salad (unlike he did last year! Inside joke!). I figured as long as I was making my favorite tater salad, I might as well share it with my blog readers.

Now I wouldn't say this recipe is anything fancy. It's definitely a basic potato salad recipe, but I love it all the same. I'm not a fan of hard boiled eggs in potato salads in general, so I opt to leave them out when I make mine. I also like to leave the skin on the potatoes. I like the texture the skin adds to the dish and it also makes life a lot easier when you don't have to peel a bunch of potatoes! Another thing I like about this salad is that I use two different kinds of mustard. When I was in college in South Carolina, there was a restaurant that served the BEST tuna fish sandwich I have ever tasted (The Trestle in Conway). I think the secret was that they added mustard to the tuna salad, so I decided to borrow that idea for my potato salad. I am here to tell you - it works just as well with potatoes as it did with the tuna!

So for your next backyard barbecue, you don't have to worry about what to make. Bring this potato salad recipe and it's guaranteed to be a hit!

Let's get cookin'!


Basic Potato Salad

Servings: 10-12
Prep. time: 20 minutes + 1 hour for potatoes to cool after cooking
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
3 pounds red skinned potatoes, skin on, cubed
1/2 cup mayo
3 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons dry dill
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika


Place a large pot filled about half-full with water on the stove over high heat. Put the potato cubes in the water and bring to a boil.


After the potatoes have been cooking for about 20 minutes, test some to make sure they're fork tender. They should still have some firmness to them; they shouldn't be completely mushy.

Drain the potatoes into a colander in the sink and then place the colander over the pot you cooked the potatoes in so that the residual heat will dry off the potatoes.


After they have sat there for two minutes or so, place the potatoes in a serving bowl and then put it in the fridge to cool.


Leave them in the refrigerator to cool for about an hour. You want them to completely cool off before dressing them.


After they've completely cooled, dress them in the same bowl you will be serving them. Add the mayo & mustards and stir to fully combine and incorporate them into the potatoes.


Then add the salt, pepper, celery salt, dill, and cayenne. Stir to combine.

When all is combined an stirred in, use a damp paper towel to wipe down the inside of the bowl so that it looks nice and clean for serving.

After it's all cleaned up, sprinkle the top of the salad with the paprika and smoked paprika.


Place back into the fridge until you're ready to serve. Serve chilled alongside your other favorite barbecue favorites. Salute!



No comments:

Post a Comment