Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Open-Your-Face Quesadilla

The components of this recipe might seem eerily familiar to you. But trust me, this is something completely different. In a good way.

A few weeks ago I mentioned my recent work trip to California. The hotel had this amazeballs Mexican restaurant located within it, which made it all too convenient for my work buddy and I to indulge in the best of what southern California has to offer (besides sunny skies, warm weather, and fantastic views): Mexican cuisine. Margaritas, chips & salsa, and a variety of delectable Mexican dishes were ours for the taking. We made quite a few stops at Las Campanas during our weeklong stay (four, but who's counting?), and my absolute favorite dish I tried that week is what I want to share with you today. My coworker and I reviewed the lunch menu online one day, and she pointed out this item from the appetizers list called an "open faced quesadilla." She read the ingredients and I was sold! We each ordered one and were very happy we did. I knew right then and there that I would have to attempt to re-make the dish in my own kitchen.

My dad came to dinner to celebrate Father's Day, so I figured I would take the opportunity to serve this re-make dish from Las Campanas. I usually make him something hearty and manly: meatloaf, pasta with rich sauce, pizza, green beans. He does love Mexican food, so I knew he would be excited to try this dish. Since my dad doesn't eat seafood, but I do, I made beef strips to go on his and my boyfriend's, and shrimp to go on mine. (Actually my boyfriend lucked out and got the best of both worlds: a surf n' turf version with beef AND shrimp!) You can feel free to top your open-faced quesadilla with chicken or even a light white fish. Whatever floats your boat. The process and dressings will be the same, I would just vary the cooking time.

This dish calls for cilantro pesto. Being an avid cilantro hater, I wasn't familiar with the proportions I would have to use for such a thing, so I used a recipe for that, which I found online here. I have to say though, even if you don't like cilantro, you should still try this dish WITH the pesto. It complements the other flavors going on and is not overwhelming. Give it a shot.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to pull off a replica with the same great flavors I experienced in person at the restaurant in Cali, but I am happy to report I did it! This meal was so delicious and fulfilling, you'll want to open-your-face to take the biggest bites possible! I can't wait to make it again!

Special Note: I realize that many of my recent recipes have included arugula. It's not on purpose but it's not an accident either. Arugula and I are having a moment. I'm clearly obsessed. Just go with it. I surely am!

Let's get cookin'! Ole!

Open-Your-Face Quesadilla

Servings: 3
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cilantro pesto
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 pound beef tenderloin, cut into strips (bought that way if you can find it!)
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper (FCBP)
3 burrito sized soft flour tortillas
1 bag shredded Monterey jack & cheddar cheese mix
1/3 queso fresco round, crumbled
Juice of one lime
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1/2 avocado, chopped
3 large handfuls baby arugula leaves
Juice of one lemon

Preheat everything! We're working with quite a few stove top items today, as well as one oven item. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Preheat one nonstick skillet (used for the seafood and then the meat) over medium heat. Preheat your oven's broiler on high.

Start by adding your cleaned shrimp to a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon FCBP.
Then drizzle with two tablespoons of your cilantro pesto and stir to coat the shrimp in the pepper & pesto.
Add one teaspoon EVOO to the nonstick skillet and spread it around the pan. Add the shrimp to the pan in an even layer. Squeeze half of a lime over the pan and stir to combine.

Cook on the first side until they start to turn pinkish white and become firm, about three minutes. Flip all shrimp and cook on the opposite side for another three or four minutes, until they become firm and opaque. Remove from the heat and set aside on a clean plate.

Wipe out the skillet with a wad of paper towels. Place the pan back on the burner and add one teaspoon of butter. Allow to melt while you prepare the meat.

Add the strips of beef (or chicken) to a clean mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each salt & FCBP, as well as with two tablespoons of the cilantro pesto. Stir to coat the meat in the sauce.

Once the butter is melted, spread it throughout the pan.
Add the meat to the skillet in a single layer. Let cook on the first side for about three or four minutes.

Turn the meat over to cook the opposite side. Sprinkle with the juice of half the lime. Allow to cook for another five minutes.

Remove the meat from the skillet by placing it on a clean plate. Set aside while you put together the rest of the dish.

Add the tortilla shells to your grill or grill pan. Cook on the first side for about one minute. Flip over to cook the second side for about thirty seconds.

Place the grilled tortillas on a cookie sheet. Top each with a handful of queso fresco, followed by a couple of handfuls of the jack/cheddar mixture.
Place under the broiler for about one minute until the cheese has become melty.

Remove from the oven and place each tortilla shell on its own individual plate.
Top the tortillas with your chosen protein, whether it be shrimp, chicken, steak, or a combination thereof.

Top each tortilla with a third of your chopped roma tomatoes and chopped red onion, sprinkling them evenly around the surface of the tortilla.
Drizzle each tortilla with about one tablespoon of the cilantro pesto.
 
Sprinkle next with chopped avocado.

Add three handfuls of baby arugula leaves to a large mixing bowl.

In a separate, smaller dish, add the juice from one lemon. Slowly drizzle in two tablespoons of EVOO while you whip with a whisk to create a dressing consistency.

Drizzle the lemon dressing over the bowl of arugula leaves. Toss to combine.
Use tongs to spoon a handful of arugula salad onto the top of each open faced quesadilla.
You will need a fork AND a knife to eat these babies! Enjoy with a glass of crisp white wine, Mexican beer, or perhaps a smoky sriracha margarita. Salute!

2 comments:

  1. This was absolutely amazing! Thanks to you my bf thinks I am an amazing cook!

    ReplyDelete