Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Noodle Salad

First of all, I would like to apologize for my absence. I've been having computer issues, but that is somewhat resolved, so I am back at it! Thanks for your patience :-)

On to this week's recipe...

This idea was born out of my love for an Asian-inspired shrimp salad at my neighborhood fancy restaurant, The Carlyle. All of the food at The Carlyle is good, but this is my go-to meal whenever I visit and am in the mood for a full entrĂ©e.  Unless it's brunch. That's a whole other animal!

This was the first salad I ever ate that had noodles in it. Noodles in salad? It works.  I had a hankering for a healthy, light meal after spending the afternoon at the pool this past weekend. Something about baking away in the hot post-Labor Day sun makes me feel light and airy and I wanted to eat something that would keep me feeling like that and not weigh me down. I ran over to the grocery store and purchased some fresh shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, and a red bell pepper. I quickly cooked the shrimp in my cast iron skillet, chopped up the veggies, and threw it all together with some fresh squeezed lime juice. Perfection! The following night I had some of the same ingredients leftover, so I decided to spruce up the prior day's recipe and make it more like my Carlyle salad.

I picked up some more shrimp and some ramen, and decided to use some baby spinach I had laying around from my morning breakfast smoothies so that I could make this a full-on salad. It turned out really well and I'm excited to share this light, healthful, delicious meal with you!

I made this for myself but it would be really easy to multiply the recipe if you're making it for two or more. And if you're not a seafood person, you could either leave the protein out all together, or add grilled chicken breast. It's up to you.

OK, let's get cookin'!


Shrimp & Noodle Salad
Servings: 1
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes


Ingredients:
1/2 package Ramen noodles, cooked
1 teaspoon Thai sweet chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1/4 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper (FCBP)
1 large handful baby spinach leaves
1/4 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 small-ish vine ripened tomato, chopped
1/2 avocado, chopped
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon peanut oil

Start by cooking the ramen noodles by following the directions on the back of the package - including adding the seasoning packet. When the noodles have cooked and been seasoned, drain the liquid out and set aside half of the noodles in a bowl.
Place the bowl in the fridge so the noodles can cool.
 

To cook the shrimp, place a cast iron skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon EVOO to the pan and spread it around to coat the bottom once the pan starts heating up.
Place the shrimp in a colander and rinse them under some cold water. Shake dry.

Add the shrimp to a small bowl. Sprinkle them with 1/2 teaspoon FCBP and 1/2 teaspoon EVOO. Toss to coat the shrimp.
Place the shrimp in the hot pan, one by one.
(I like my shrimp very well done, but if you're more of a purist and like them a little softer, cook them for less time that I do.)

Allow them to cook for five minutes on the first side, then flip them over to cook for another five minutes on the second side.
After ten minutes, turn the burner off but let the pain remain where it is. Drizzle 1/2 of your lime juice over all of the shrimp and toss with a fork to coat.
Remove the shrimp from the pan and place them somewhere to cool while assemble your salad.
Take the noodle bowl out of the fridge and dress the noodles with the soy sauce and Thai sweet chili sauce. Stir it all together so that the noodles are evenly coated in the dressing. Set aside.
Lay the spinach leaves over the surface of your serving plate.
Next, use a fork to spread the noodles over the spinach leaves.
Add the red bell peppers...
Tomatoes & and avocado on top of the noodles.
Sprinkle the entire salad evenly with 1/2 teaspoon FCBP and drizzle with the peanut oil and the rest of the lime juice.

Last, add your cooked shrimp to the top of the salad in a pretty formation.
If you are serving this salad to guests, leave the salad assembled like this.
If you are eating it more informally, go ahead and remove the tails, chop up the shrimp, and sprinkle them throughout the salad, like so:
Either way, enjoy! Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment