Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sun-God Smoked Salmon Plate

This recipe is in honor of my friend, Alexis, who happens to LOVE smoked salmon, and who just gave birth last week to a precious baby boy, named Apollo (the god of light and sun in Greek mythology). She had to abstain from smoked salmon all throughout her pregnancy and is finally able to indulge now that Apollo is here, happy, and healthy. I plan to make this recipe and take it to her on my next visit to see the lil' guy, but I had to do a trial run this past weekend while we were house-sitting for my boyfriend's parents, you know - just to make sure everything tasted alright ;-)

The inspiration for this recipe came from the most fantastic of sources - a local restaurant's brunch menu. My friend Vanessa had been raving about this place for quite some time and suggested we go one weekend when we were making brunch plans. I will be forever in her debt for introducing me to this wonderful brunch menu! Everything was remarkably delicious and five hours after arrival, we had tried nearly everything (some twice!). It's all you can eat for a flat fee - can ya blame us?! One item on the menu really peaked my interest: the 'salmon & dough.' I've always been a little wary of smoked salmon since I actually do not like salmon in general (I know, I'm a weirdo), but Alexis' undying love for it has encouraged me to try it on occasion. I decided to give this one a shot when I saw it on the menu and I am glad I did. This dish has won me over to smoked salmon forever!

I've been wanting to try my own version of the 'salmon & dough' for a while, and I figured Alexis' return to the world of smoked salmon would be the perfect occasion to do so! The restaurant dish actually served their version with ricotta, but I wanted to do something to make the cheese a little more special. Typically, smoked salmon (or lox) is served with cream cheese. The ricotta was really good, but I wanted to do something more like the traditional version, so I chose goat cheese. Plain goat cheese would've been good, but that's too boring for me! I decided to throw in some dill, since dill pairs well with smoked salmon. I think this herb goat cheese really made a difference in this dish and I can't wait for you to try it!

I made this recipe for my boyfriend and me and will be making it again for Alexis, but it would make a really great addition to a brunch table, especially since it's so quick & easy to pull together. If you're serving it for brunch with a larger group, simply use a bigger serving platter and multiply the ingredients for this recipe by half of however many guests will be joining you. (For example, if ten people will be joining, multiply this recipe by five.) And if you're already serving brunch, might as well include one of these old favorites as well! ;-)

OK let's get smokin'!

Smoked Salmon Plate
Servings: 2
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: n/a

Ingredients:
1/3 cucumber, sliced
2 heaping tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons capers
1 handful salad greens - preferably arugula
2 ounces soft goat cheese - plain
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
2 bagels - plain or another savory flavor (I used plain & egg)
2 handfuls bagel crisps, preferably plain
1/4 pound smoked salmon

Start by setting out a serving platter big enough to fit at least some of each of your ingredients. I used a square wooden cutting board, but a flat serving dish would work well, as would a tray filled with ramekins and small dishes for each ingredient.

Arrange the minced cucumber slices, red onion, capers, and salad greens on the serving platter in neat little piles. Make sure to leave room for: bread pieces, cheese, bagel crisps, and smoked salmon.
Now, make the herb goat cheese spread.

Place the softened goat cheese in a small mixing bowl, sprinkle in the chopped fresh dill, and stir with a fork to completely incorporate the dill into the cheese.
Use your hands to gather all of the cheese and roll it in your hands to create a patty (kind of like you would do if you were making a hamburger patty).

Lay the herb cheese patty on your serving platter (I pressed the tines of a fork into the center of mine to create a little design for some added fancy!).
Next, tear up the bagels into bite size pieces and place them in a pile on the platter. Arrange the bagel crisps around the cheese patty, leaving room for the salmon slices.
Now you can add the smoked salmon, laying it on the platter where you have left room.
All of your food is now in one place and you can take the entire thing to your serving area.
Set up some forks for serving the capers, onion, salmon, etc. & a knife for spreading the cheese. People can prepare everything themselves and place their bites on individual plates.

Now is the perfect time to pour yourself some prosecco!
To create the perfect bite, simply start with either a slice of cucumber, piece of bagel, or bagel crisp. Spread on the herb goat cheese and sprinkle with some capers and red onion.
Top it with a piece of arugula/salad greens and a slice of smoked salmon.
Sip your prosecco and enjoy!
Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment