Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Guilt Free Peppermint Cocoa

Christmas may be over, but it's technically winter now, which means in most climes the weather has turned chilly (if not freezing cold). There are so many cold weather rituals in which I love to indulge: cozying up on the couch under any number of blankets, drinking hot tea in the morning while getting ready for work, and my new favorite - taking steaming hot baths with epsom salts and essential oils. On a recent chilly night, I enjoyed that last ritual alongside another favorite of mine - a mug full of hot cocoa.  

Since turning sugar free and low carb several months ago, I haven't been able to participate in many of my other favorite rituals, like visiting the local bakeries on the weekends, having that third (or even first) slice of cake at birthday parties, or ordering dessert at restaurants. I'm creating new routines and treats for myself though, and it's been kind of fun trying out sugar & white flour substitutes in regular recipes. I've adjusted recipes from fellow bloggers and come up with some pretty tasty treats thus far: almond butter cups with chocolate almond crusts, salted caramel 'cheesecake' bites (made with cashews instead of cream cheese and homemade Stevia caramel), and sugar free chocolate covered strawberry & coconut butter balls. Yum! Having dessert that's actually nutritious and mostly guilt free is pretty awesome!

Cut to this peppermint hot cocoa recipe I'm sharing with you today. No, I can't have sugar, but yes, I can find a way to make treats I used to enjoy compatible with my new diet. I'm using Stevia a lot for sweetener and I know that unsweetened cocoa is OK for me to eat, and I LOVE peppermint, especially around the holidays, so I threw them all together for the perfect sugar free, non-indulgent indulgence. 

Of course, this recipe would also work if you can have sugar. I would sweeten with agave instead of Stevia and use regular sweetened cocoa. Slowly add the butter & vanilla extracts instead of adding the full amount listed below and taste as you go. And you could use regular milk too of course, but why bother? Almond milk is delicious and adds more flavor, as would coconut milk. 

OK, let's get chocolate-y!

Sugar Free Peppermint Hot Cocoa
Servings: 1
Prep time: n/a
Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 mug unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon imitation butter extract
1/4 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
14 drops liquid Stevia
4 tablespoons unsweetened powdered cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Stevia in the Raw
1/8 teaspoon salt

Place a small pot on the stove over medium heat.

Pour the almond milk into the mug you want to drink your cocoa from...
 ...and then pour the almond milk into the small pot.
 Pour all of the extracts and liquid Stevia into the almond milk and stir.
Add the cocoa, Stevia in the Raw, and salt to the almond milk and stir.
Let the hot cocoa heat up for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour the hot cocoa into your mug - serve hot. While you take a bath ;-)
Salute!

Blooper:
[Milli couldn't resist the candy cane...]

No comments:

Post a Comment